On Your Side
Featured Issue: Toxic Mold
Toxic Mold has received a lot of press in recent months. Known to potentially cause side effects in humans that range from sinus problems to breast and brain cancer, the most famous victim of Toxic Mold is Erin Brockovich, the determined legal assistant whose successful fight against PG&E was made famous in the movie named after her.
At her home in the Southern California community of Agoura Hills, Erin was suddenly afflicted with serious chronic fatigue. She was so sick, she began to doubt she could complete her commitments to the movie that was about to be released.
"This was not just fatigue. I did not want to get out of bed...to work...all I wanted to do was sleep" Erin told the press, the public and politicos at a Senate Health Committee Hearing in Sacramento. As the weeks passed, her husband and family began to experience similar symptoms. As Erin's illness lingered and worsened, she sought medical help. But all the doctors could diagnose was an allergy to some toxic molds she had never heard of. Nothing added up - until she stubbed her toe on a raised floor board in the 5,200 square foot home she purchased with her bonus from the settlement on the chromium suit against PG&E.
Online Information Resources
Do It Yourself Diagnostic Tools
Attorneys Specializing in This Issue
10 News - San DiegoFor years, people have known about mold allergies. Now, studies show mold can cause infections, exacerbate immunological reactions and have toxic effects. Some controversial studies even link mold to cancer and brain damage, especially in children, 10News reported.
Health problems associated with mold are closing dozens of schools across the country, including Chapultepec Residence Hall at San Diego State University. The dorm is closed until the fall of 2002 while mold is removed from the rooms. The university received a $6.1 million settlement to fix the problem caused by a construction defect.
According to 10News, two homeowners have even burned down their homes because of mold rather than try to fix them. Mark O'Hara of Eugene, Oregon had the local fire department burn his newly remodeled home to the ground after doctors linked his family's chronic nosebleeds, flu-like symptoms and headaches to mold.